Welcome to Mandalay Technological University Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Mandalay Technological University Forum

ဴမန္မာအင္ဂဵင္နီယာမဵားဖိုရမ္

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kmn
Admin
Admin
kmn

Male
Number of posts : 17
Batch if MIT (if not simply fill YIT) : 4th
Registration date : 2006-10-23

What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor Empty
PostSubject: What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor   What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor Icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2006 4:01 pm

Hi all,

Please kindly let me know if someone know detail the distinguishing of Switching & Linear DC Power O/P adaptors.
-What is the weakness of Switching O/P DC voltage adaptor?
-What is the Switching O/P DC voltage adaptor while use the communication Modem devices better than Linear O/P DC voltage adaptor ?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
ZawMinHt
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor   What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2006 5:27 am

kmn wrote:
Hi all,

Please kindly let me know if someone know detail the distinguishing of Switching & Linear DC Power O/P adaptors.
-What is the weakness of Switching O/P DC voltage adaptor?
-What is the Switching O/P DC voltage adaptor while use the communication Modem devices better than Linear O/P DC voltage adaptor ?

Thanks

Mr. KMN , Are you kyi min naing (S'pore) ?

What is O/P ?

The second questions. I don't get the point well. Can u clarify the question a little bit ?
Back to top Go down
kmn
Admin
Admin
kmn

Male
Number of posts : 17
Batch if MIT (if not simply fill YIT) : 4th
Registration date : 2006-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor   What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2006 7:07 am

Hi Friend,

Yeah,I'm Kyi Min Naing.
O/P DC Voltage Adaptor mean that Output DC voltage Adaptor.Found that Switching adaptor is better than Linear Adaptor for most of electronic communication devices that has needed to supply InPut DC voltage.Switching adaptor can synchronize built-in power supply delivery circuit components on PCBA .It can adjust with the performance of CMOS LDO (Low-DropOut) voltage regulator and prevent the damage of LDO regulator when use in long time continus.

So,I post the previous questions on forum.I want to robust about it.If it is robust,our friends can solve most of problem communication devices (ADSL Modem) in myanmar after replacing with the same switching adaptor. bom

Thanks
Back to top Go down
ZawMinHt
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor   What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2006 7:54 am

kmn wrote:
Hi Friend,

Yeah,I'm Kyi Min Naing.
O/P DC Voltage Adaptor mean that Output DC voltage Adaptor.Found that Switching adaptor is better than Linear Adaptor for most of electronic communication devices that has needed to supply InPut DC voltage.Switching adaptor can synchronize built-in power supply delivery circuit components on PCBA .It can adjust with the performance of CMOS LDO (Low-DropOut) voltage regulator and prevent the damage of LDO regulator when use in long time continus.

So,I post the previous questions on forum.I want to robust about it.If it is robust,our friends can solve most of problem communication devices (ADSL Modem) in myanmar after replacing with the same switching adaptor. bom

Thanks

Hay KMN ,

What you said is right . Basically SMPS ( switch mode power supplies ) are better than Linear ones. Their advantages are :
1. they have wider input ranges ( which is particularly siuted for myanmar) whereas linear regulators are not economically possible for wide range inputs because all the regulated voltages are dissipated in the IC ( LDO or ordinary or whatever).

2. SPMS have higher efficiency compared to linear ones because most of the energy losses are in transformers and switches ( FET or BJT or IGBT or similar ). These semiconductor switches have two type of loss namely resistive loss and switching loss. Resistive losses are normally smaller and smaller with low Ron switches FET. Switching losses need careful attention since they get much higher with increasing frequency. Under todays atmosphere,
life can be easy . Compaies such National semiconductor makes special ICs for SMPS . They are quite good that EC engineers are left with little work to do.

Now...
SMPS means switching which is not always a good thing. First of all they need a better and smarter closed loop control. They normally require more components than linear regulator and so they are more expensive.
SMPS also suffers from switching fatigue and turn-on/off stresses.
One more thing.
Switching circuit can and do radiates electromagnetic energies from such things as components and PCB traces. Some times it is strong enough that is not suitable for some use. Let's say if a SMPS is radiating some RF frequencies which affects a heart pumping and monitoring machine of a very sick patient , it would be a big problem. Right ? So EMC clearance again becomes important( I mean not in myanmar) Linear supplies doesn't have such problem.

I think SMPS will be good enough for ADSL devices for use in mm.

ur friend
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor   What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the distinguishing of Switching & Linear adaptor
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to Mandalay Technological University Forum :: Electronics & Electrical Power Engineering :: Electrical Power Engineering-
Jump to: